(This is written for men, but ladies, feel free to read it as well.)
I see men every week in my practice who struggle with anxiety. And I know there are millions who are also suffering unnecessarily because they don’t understand what’s going on with them or are too resistant to seek out help. I too have struggled with this dreaded and unpredictable angst and I know the effects first hand both on me as a person, and as a man.
For too long we have wrestled with the stigmas of mental health issues and all the varied diagnosis. Many of us have taken on beliefs that “we’re showing our weakness if we have to ask for help.”
Nothing could be further from the truth.
It takes courage and strength to ask for help and commit to overcome anxiety. And for what it’s worth, there are, and have been, many other men who’ve wrestled with the same demons of anxiety. And many who have overcome.
Here’s a few you’ve probably heard of:
- Abraham Lincoln – President
- Al Kasha – Songwriter
- Alfred Lord Tennyson – Poet
- Anthony Hopkins – Actor
- Burt Reynolds – Actor
- Charles Schultz – Cartoonist
- Dave Stewart – Singer of Eurythmics
- David Bowie – Singer
- Dean Cain – Actor
- Dick Clark – Television Personality
- Donny Osmond – Singer/Actor
- Earl Campbell -Heisman Trophy Winner
- Edvard Munch – Artist
- Eric Clapton – Musician
- Howard Stern – “King of Media”
- Howie Mandel – Comic
- Isaac Asimov – Author
- James Garner – Actor
- Jim Eisenreich – Baseball
- John Candy – Comedian
- John Cougar Mellencamp – Musician/Actor
- John Madden – Sports Announcer
- John Steinbeck – Author
- John Stuart Mill – Philosopher
- Johnny Depp – Actor
- Michael Crichton – Writer
- Michael English – Gospel Artist
- Michael Jackson- Singer
- Nicholas Cage- Actor
- Nikola Tesla – Inventor
- Pete Harnisch – Baseball
- Ray Charles – Musician
- Robert Burns – Poet
- Robert McFarlane – Former U.S. National Security Advisor
- Sam Shepard – Playwright
- Sigmund Freud – Psychiatrist
- Sir Isaac Newton – Scientist
- Sir Laurence Olivier – Actor
- Tom Snyder – Host
- Tony Dow – Actor, Director
- W.B. Yeats – Poet
- Willard Scott – Weatherman
The REALLY good news is that there is effective treatment for anxiety and quite frankly, it’s one of the simplest issues to address and correct.
But here are some rather alarming statistics about anxiety:
• Anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the U.S., affecting 40 million adults in the United States age 18 and older (18.1% of U.S. population).
• Anxiety disorders cost the U.S. more than $42 billion a year, almost one-third of the country’s $148 billion total mental health bill.
• More than $22.84 billion of those costs are associated with the repeated use of health care services; people with anxiety disorders seek relief for symptoms that mimic physical illnesses.
• People with an anxiety disorder are three to five times more likely to go to the doctor and six times more likely to be hospitalized for psychiatric disorders than those who do not suffer from anxiety disorders.
(~The Anxiety Disorders Association of America)
Whether you’re male or female, you don’t have to suffer.
But guys, let go of the machismo and ask for help. You’ll be happier than ever that you did.
And you’ll join the long list of other men who have done the same.
Call me…let’s get started today..(727) 394-7325